Women’s and men’s soccer complete home streaks with wins

Mountain Lions men’s and women’s soccer played their Make-A-Wish games last week on Sept. 18 and both took home a victory.

Women’s soccer shuts out Fort Lewis, finishes homestand with win

The women’s team got off to a quick start with redshirt senior midfielder Fabiola Estrada’s goal in the second minute putting them in front early. Fort Lewis’ defense struggled to hold down the fort during a free kick taken by redshirt junior midfielder Zoe Sims. The ball found its way to Estrada, and she sent it to the back of the net for the first goal of the match.

Mountain Lions’ graduate student goalkeeper Alexis Walker upheld a faultless defense for the rest of the first half. The Fort Lewis Skyhawks had four shots on target that Walker shut down, keeping the score at 1-0 going into halftime.

The Mountain Lions came into the second half looking for more goals which they achieved in the 53rd minute of the game when they took a hold of the possession and scored. The Skyhawks were caught off position when sophomore midfielder Annie Louthan scored off of an assist by redshirt sophomore midfielder Makayla Merlo, solidifying the Mountain Lions’ lead.

The Skyhawks did their best to counter but were overwhelmed by the Mountain Lions. UCCS’ defense limited them to only three off-target shots up until the final minute.

Over their home stretch, the Mountain Lions did not allow a single goal, with three shutout victories and a pair of scoreless ties.

Men’s soccer scores key late goals in win vs. Colorado Christian

UCCS kicked off the match with vigor and took control of the possession for the majority of the first half. The Colorado Christian Cougars’ goalkeeper was forced to spring into action after the Mountain Lions directed four shots on target his way, blocking all of them to prevent a goal and keep the game even going into the second half.

After halftime, the Mountain Lions saw two chances to score but once again the opposing goalkeeper replied with blocks. Both teams exchanged possession for most of the second half.

The Mountain Lions earned a free kick in the 83rd minute of the game, however. Senior forward Kolby Raineri took the set piece and the ball bounced off the left post but found graduate student forward Marvin Putu, who knocked it into the goal to take the lead for the Mountain Lions.

Towards the end of the match, the Cougars earned a corner kick. Attempting to tie the game, the Cougars sent all of their players in the box to increase their chances of scoring a goal, including their goalkeeper. The kick was unsuccessful and found Putu, who kicked the ball down the field to a wide-open Raineri for an easy goal, giving the Mountain Lions the win, 2-0.

The Mountain Lions took four of five games on their road trip, allowing just two opposing goals to be scored against them. UCCS also won their fifth straight game against the Cougars all-time, the longest streak in matchup history.

#21 defender Miles Seminario takes the ball from CCU player on Sept. 18. Photo by Taylor Villalpando.