10 September 2019
Club representatives spoke with the Student Government Association (SGA) senate about proposed funding changes to the constitution at their first official meeting on Sept. 5 before the senate approved nine Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) recommendations and approved the first bill of the year.
Representatives from clubs who spoke to the senate opposed the senate’s early plans to change guidelines on how money left over the previous year can be spent. Club sports teams request the most money from the left-over money each year because of their $3,000 yearly cap through the BAC.
Nine BAC recommendations were approved at Thursday’s meeting, two of which carried over from last week’s unofficial senate meeting.
Club baseball: $2977.76 — Approved 5–0 with one abstention.
- New jerseys needed to participate in conferences
Women’s club soccer: $2,370 — Approved 6–0
- Requested money for referees and uniforms.
Club football: $3,000 — Approved 6–0
- Requested for jerseys, equipment and officials
Indian Student Alliance: $300 — Approved 6–0
- Food and drink at an off-campus event for new members.
Makers space club: $3,000 — Approved 6–0
- Durable goods including a laser cutter and embroidery machine.
Club figure skating: $3,000 — Approved 6–0
- Competitive fees to fund both individuals and team, and events.
Club tennis: $3,000 — Approved 6–0
- Rental fees for 200 hours of practice and game time in court spaces.
Club cycling: $3,000 — Approved 6–0
- Travel and life expenses for 10 members.
Drone club: $3,000 — Approved 6–0
- Equipment and replacement parts for drones that can break.
UCCS prevention outreach manager Ray Fisco presented SB-01, the first senate bill of the academic semester, sponsored by senators, Kassandra Pontilo and Salvador Placensia. SB-01 sought funding for two new student employment positions at Clyde’s Cupboard. The first position is for a student assistant to work 400 hours at $12 per hour. The second was to appoint an activities specialist. Both positions are crucial to the inventory process. SB-01 Bill was approved 6-0.
Senate meetings are held every Thursday at 8 p.m. in room UC 303. For more information on senate meetings and club funding, visit https://www.uccs.edu/sga/.